Monday, August 23, 2010

Carnitas

I've been obsessed with carnitas since the first time I've ever tried them.  I never thought about making them myself though.  Typically, I would just go to the Mexican grocer and pick up some already prepared.  I decided it was time to learn how to do this myself.  I would say these were awesome for my first time, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Carnitas in the Slow Cooker
A Hudocks to Haddocks Original Recipe

  • 3.5 lb pork shoulder
  • 6 oz goya green chilies
  • 1 tbsp. cumin
  • 3/4 cup of chicken broth
  • 6 packets of Sazon

Directions:

  1. Wash defrosted pork shoulder and place in crockpot
  2. Cover in green chilies.  Add cumin and chicken broth.
  3. Cook on low for 8 hours, flipping shoulder over halfway through cooking time.
  4. Remove pork shoulder from crockpot, shred with 2 forks, add sazon and mix well
  5. Serve on flour or corn tortillas.
Notes:
  • Optional toppings: salsa, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomato
  • I put this in the crockpot and then was running errands for several hours, so I came home after 6 hours of cooking to look at it and see that it needed to be flipped.  I flipped it and put it on high for those last 2 hours, so I figured 8 hours, flipping midway, should do.
  • I wish I has more time for this dish, since I would have liked to add the sazon and throw it back in the crockpot for another 30 min - 1 hour for it to cook in the flavoring better.

No comments:

Post a Comment