Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Goin' Southern!

Last week was our anniversary and I had big plans to try and make crab stuffed shells. However, with the pending patio project and our mini getaway not far behind it, I had a TON of grocery shopping to do. I just did not feel like making another stop to Supreme Lobster to pick up crab legs. So I decided that I would make almost everything in my crock pots to make it easier on me. I was running errands from 6 a.m. that day and wanted something that could cook if I decided to nap and not be ruined.

So, I went as southern as this Midwest gal can go and made ribs, baked mac n cheese & corn pudding.
I really wanted to put the mac n cheese in my second crock pot (a Christmas gift from my mom that I had no used yet) but when I went to open it and wash it for us, it was cracked right down the middle. Bummer. So I had to make the mac n cheese in the oven instead.

What I thought was going to be a quick prep in the kitchen had me (what I felt like) in the kitchen cooking all day. [This was due to company coming in and out all day too though]


Slow Cooker Ribs 

1 slab pork baby back ribs
2 cups ketchup
1 cup chili sauce (recipe below)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 tbs. vinegar
Oregano
Dash of hot sauce

Chili sauce -
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbs vinegar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp pepper
1. Mix together until all clumps are out.

Recipe:
1. Wash ribs, cut down center and remove back fat off ribs.
2. Season with salt & pepper. Put in baking dish and bake at 400 for 15 minutes on each side.
3. Remove from oven, drain fat.
4. Mix all sauce ingredients until lumps are out. Pour into crock pot. Place ribs on top and turn to coat.
5. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until tender.

*I did 6 hours and they fell right off the bone.
* I also had a lot of leftover sauce so this recipe would have worked better with les sauce or another slab of ribs.


Baked Mac n Cheese
1 pound elbow macroni
3 tbs butter
3 tbs flour
3 cups of milk (whole milk or 2% is best – I did 2 cups of whole milk & I cup skim as it is what I had)
1 large egg
12-14 oz of sharp cheddar shredded cheese
salt & pepper (to taste)

Topping:
3 tbs butter
1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs

1. Cook pasta to al dente
2. While pasta is cooking, in a pot melt butter. Whisk in flour for a good 3-4 minutes, until lumps are gone. Stir in milk & pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Whisk in egg for 1-2 minutes and then stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Fold cheese mix into macaroni in pasta pot. Pour into casserole dish
5. In a sauce pan, melt butter for topping and toss breadcrumbs to coat.
6. Pour remaining cheese over casserole and cover with topping.
7. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until topping has turned golden brown.



Corn Pudding 

No comments:

Post a Comment