Friday, June 18, 2010

Italian Sausage & Pepper Pasta

I am on my 3rd week of Weight Watchers and I have to say I am really enjoying it.  I was doing the South Beach Diet for a couple of months and hit a plateau.  I needed more flexibility with my menu now that summer is here and social engagements make it hard to say no to so many glorious food and drinks.  Frank is on a quest to get healthy so he has agreed to eat all of the same meals with me for dinner.  Last night, I made my first WW recipe.
 
Italian Sausage & Pepper Pasta
Adapted from Weight Watchers Website

- 1 pound raw Italian sausage, casings removed  
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin  
- 2 medium yellow pepper(s), cut into 2-inch long thin strips  (I only used one and it definitely needed 2)
- 1/2 cup(s) red wine  
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic  
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or less to taste  
- 1/4 tsp table salt  
- 1 package of whole wheat or multi grain fuscilli
- 1 package of rigatoni (frank does not like WW or MG pastas)

1. Boil water for pasta in a large pot
2.  Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown sausage while breaking apart with a spoon.  Remove from skillet and put aside
3.  In the same skillet, add olive oil and peppers.  Cook until tender
4.  Add in garlic & wine.  Cook for a couple minutes until it is nearly evaporated.
5.  Add in diced tomatoes, crushed red pepper, salt and browned sausage.  Stir and then add in tomato paste until well mixed.
6.  Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer for about 10 minutes.
7.  Cook pasta to al dente, drain and rinse with cold water.  Return to pot.
8. Pour sauce over pasta and mix until well blended.

This makes about 4 servings for each type of pasta.  1 serving = 5 points.

1 comment:

  1. A). I love pasta
    B). I LOVE Italian Sausage and Peppers! We do it frequently. They're so great for the summertime.

    I think I may have found dinner for tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete